Some “children’s” music can be pretty tough to listen to, so here is a list of my favorite albums to listen to with M. Criteria for making the list: Is super good, sets a positive tone for the house or car and has appropriate language and messages for the most part.
- Andrew Bird and the Mysterious Production of Eggs is so good. M and I love the violin and the whistling.
2. Illinoise from Sufjan Stevens is one of my personal favorite albums and seeing that M loves the banjo, he has no choice but to love it too. I never skip over the John Wayne Gacy song, but I could see that getting a little bizarre when M is old enough to process the lyrics.
3. Hard not to love this one. Jacaranda Tree from Josh Garrels was recorded here in Indiana (I guess I’m partial to music from the midwest) and the message is so right on! Thanks to my husband for the introduction to this gem.
4. Anything by Elizabeth Mitchell is so wonderful and hey it’s actually for children. You are my Little Bird is my favorite, but her album Little Seed; Songs for Children by Woody Guthrie is also so darn good.
5. Looking for music to make you feel all warm and cozy on the inside? Here it is. You don’t need to have seen the film to appreciate David Bowie covers in Portuguese. Excellent!!
6. Want to get the dance party started? It’s as simple as this. M loves to jump around and get funky with this upbeat Mediterranean and Balkan fusion.
7. Lastly, M loves the Music Together CD collection so much. These can get to be a little bit much if you over do it, but they are really high quality children’s songs. M got to be a part of the Music Together classes from age 6 months-1.5 years. The classes left a huge impact on him and we hope to join another class soon.
What music do you and your little one groove to? I would love to know!!